Thursday, May 17, 2007

After Starting Part II... (4)

After starting part II of the book, 1984, an event that is quite interesting has occurred. Winston was on his way from his room to a lavatory and was walking down a hallway toward a girl who had some type of bandage or sling on her wrist. as they both kept on walking, the girl suddenly falls down to her knees. I kind of curiously thought that it was a little unusual that she would just fall down right in front of Winston for no apparent reason. It was not like the story said she had tripped over something or something else. I started getting the feeling as I read on that she was acting or pretending her "fall" because as Winston helped her up, she secretly and quickly slipped a square-folded piece of paper into his hand. She had just fallen to give him a note, and then right after that, she just walked away as though she was fine. She was probably fine, and i think she was very clever in doing this whole act out when there was a telescreen right in front of where this was all going on. If the telescreen had caught her giving the note to Winston, they would have both been in trouble. The most interesting thing was that when Winston finally was able to safely open the note without anyone seeing him open it, it said "I love you." I would have never thought that the note had those words on it. I was thinking just like what Winston was thinking. I thought that it was some sort of threat that he will die if he does not do something. I really thought it was about how maybe this girl was the only one who knew that he was writing in a journal. If she knew about it, I thought that she was warning him that the Thought Police would be soon taking him away and killing him for it. I had this idea because I also thought that she might have been from the Thought Police, but still wants to be nice to Winston, and not turn him in. I do not think that she is part of the Thought Police now because the girl and Winston have met each other at a couple of places that have a lot of people (up to where I have read to so far).
I think the two of them will start meeting each other more often. Up to where I have read they are supposed to be meeting somewhere that sounds as though that no one can find them or see them and report them to the Thought Police. I predict that Winston will start teaching her what he knows about the history and the State (the "truth"). I do not think that this girl Winston is with is completely dumb and "brain-washed" like all of the other girls which is why I think that she will understand and learn what Winston will probably try to at least tell her. Unfortunately, I believe they might get caught after the girl has the Thought Police catch her thinking about things that she is not supposed to be thinking about like what Winston will probably explain to her and learn about.
I guess I will just have to see what will happen next.

1 comment:

Miller said...

Ted: An interesting turn of events in 1984. We talked a lot about the power of love in some earlier units and keep in mind how personal and individual the experience of love is. How will that fit into the society in 1984? How does the government in the novel view love and marriage?

Good job and keep reading.